Spring is finally here, and for millions of Canadians, so is the allergy season. If you are looking for natural ways to treat your allergies, Homeopathic medicine offers a safe & effective solution. Common allergy symptoms include sneezing with a runny nose, coughing, and/or red, itchy or watery eyes. Triggers include pollen, dust, or weeds. Before prescribing a remedy, I often evaluate food allergies and look at the Vitamin D status of my patient.
- Food sensitivity: 75% of us don’t digest dairy products. We have either heard of, or know someone who has lactose-associated diarrhea. But, sensitivity to dairy can show up in other ways. Dairy produces more mucous in the body adding to the pre-existing symptoms of congestion. Its important to get a food allergy screen through your natural practitioner to help you eliminate any offending foods.
- Vitamin D status: Allergies are an overreaction of the immune system. Adequate vitamin D is essential for balanced immunity. Your doctor or natural health practitioner can order this test for a small fee.
- Environment: Minimize exposure to pollen and dust in your home by installing a High efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter.
There are several homeopathic remedies that can help you manage your allergy symptoms naturally and without side effects, when prescribed under the guidance of your Homeopath. Here is a list of top 5 remedies commonly used to treat allergies for adults & little ones:
- Allium Cepa patient has a clear, bland or acrid discharge from the nose, itchy and watery eyes, and sneezing.
- Euphrasia will treat allergy symptoms that are predominantly in the eyes such as redness, burning, or stinging.
- Apis Mellifica will treat burning and itching in the eyes, nose or throat with swelling as the dominant symptom.
- Bromelain, the enzyme derived from Pineapple, can reduce inflammation in the nasal passages and help you breathe better.
- Sabalia, made by Boiron laboratories is a combination homeopathic product used to treat mild to moderate allergy symptoms.
Take 2 pellets every few hours until symptoms improve. Always consult your Homeopath for proper dosing guidance.